How to Leave a LinkedIn Group (updated)

February 22nd, 2011 | by Jason Alba |

Less than a year ago I wrote How (and Why) to Leave a LinkedIn Group.

The steps to leave a LinkedIn Group have changed… here’s how you leave a LinkedIn Group (as of right now):

1. Click on Groups and then go to the Group page (you can get there various ways, this is the most straightforward), then
  2. Click on the last menu item / tab, which is More… a dropdown will appear, then
  3. Click on My Settings.  On the bottom right there is a button (which looks disabled/grayed out), that says Leave Group.
  4. Click that …

You should be good now :)

1. 22 Responses to “How to Leave a LinkedIn Group (updated)”

2. By Michael Sloan on Mar 8, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for the details on how to leave a group, a google search brings up the old instructions and it was doing my head in.

Cheers,

Michael

3. By michele on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Wow, why on earth would they change from a straight-forward method to such a round-about way? Really annoying. Thanks for the posting, Jason!

4. By Linh on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

Hi,

I do the same like you said but when i click into More, there is drop down but there is no My settings. There are Answer – Learning center – News – Skill – Upgrade my account ….but there is no my settings. What should i do ? Pls help

5. By Linh on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

Hi, I got it. Thanks

6. By Linh on Mar 20, 2011 | Reply

1.From the Groups page, click the group’s name.
    2.Click the More link under the group’s name, then My Settings.
    3.Click Leave Group and then confirm.

7. By marien on Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Thanks for sharing. There should be a button on the group page itself. Why put it under My Settings :D

8. By Lynette on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Thanks so much for this. I’ve gotten into some groups that have nothing to do with what I do. Don’t know what I was thinking!

9. By Kati on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

Thanks!Super helpful.

10. By Craig on May 6, 2011 | Reply

Thank you very much. I too did the google search, found the old thing, and banged my head against the wall. I just left a dozen groups I used for my old job and hope my inbox will be less bombarded.

11. By David on May 25, 2011 | Reply

Settings does not exist under “more.”

12. By Carol on Jun 6, 2011 | Reply

Thank you! Why is it so hard to find this on the LinkedIn site?

13. By Jonha | iJustDid.org on Jun 11, 2011 | Reply

Right, the old tips usually appear in the search results. I had a hard time looking for the “Actions” button myself so I figured I could create a post with screenshots of it.

14. By ECS on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

Nope– does not work. No such setting.

15. By ECS on Aug 6, 2011 | Reply

OK I finally did it. I had to go to the not easily found “help” section and try three time to get the “settings” link to work.

16. By Lawrence MacDonald on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

I think LinkedIn is deliberately makeing it hard to leave groups. Shame on them! This irritates users and makes the membership lists of the groups less valid.

17. By Desmin on Mar 6, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Lawrence. It’s ridiculous.

18. By Jan on May 21, 2012 | Reply

OK. I’ve pressed the grey “leave group” button over and over (sometimes adding “save”, sometimes not) and I can’t leave. I’ve changed careers and have to get out of these groups!

19. By Sherry Meyers on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

I also have tried to delete groups – some work, some do not. Worse is new groups popping up that I never asked for – I even have one for an alumni of a school I never heard of and a business I never worked for.

Worse yet is trying to get rid of a job board – you press the delete and there it is the next day – happened on these and others -I will have to close my computer down to get rid of these – this is a sad misuse of LinkedIn- I will be forced to leave – my message box is overwhelming me with stuff I don’t want
    FinancialJobBank
    Insuance Career
    Simply Hired Alert
    also some individuls who glom on to you and will not release you from them – they just appear and won’t go away

20. By becky guillory on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I am not getting the “leave group” or any drop down when I put my cureser over groups. Please help.

21. By Jason Alba on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

I just left about 10 groups yesterday. Go to the Group, mouse over MORE, then click on Settings from the drop down.

On the bottom right of your screen you’ll see a button that says “Leave Group.” That’s what you are looking for…. just like I blogged about.

22. By Todd on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Becky, you have to choose More from that particular group’s set of tabs, not the set of LinkedIn tabs at the top.

23. By Joao on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Cool, thanks for the info.

It isn’t straightforward leaving a group on Linkedin – maybe they do it on purpose.

I just left Inbound Marketers group on linkedin – it’s full of unrelated spam. I think it was created by someone at Hubspot.