LinkedIn New Profile: Can’t Add Rich Media? Here’s why… :(

January 1st, 2013 | by Jason Alba |

On December 21st I reported I finally got the new LinkedIn Profile.

Want to learn more about the new LinkedIn Profile?  Check out this webinar.

Actually, I got the new layout, which didn’t include the Apps, but they didn’t give me one tiny little button that I would like to have: the tiny button/icon to add rich media.

Here’s what I have (this is next to the Summary, experience sections, Projects, etc.):

Here’s what other people have:

See that little square with the plus sign?  That’s what you click on to add rich media (powerpoints, movies, audio, etc.).

So, I KIND OF got the new Profile.

Customer support says “We are slowly releasing this new feature to be sure it functions correctly, and cannot take requests to release it sooner to some people rather than others.”

Oh well.  I was SLOW to get the new Profile.  I wonder how long it will be until people get this.

I think it’s kind of lame that they took away rich stuff (specifically, my Slideshare presentation) and then didn’t give me the ability to put it back :/

1. 6 Responses to “LinkedIn New Profile: Can’t Add Rich Media? Here’s why… :(”

2. By Roger A. Ford on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Thanks, Jason! I’m working on my LinkedIn Profile (playing your CD “LinkedIn for job seekers” on my spare laptop), and this information was very useful!

Roger

3. By Michael McClure on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I got the rich media icon the other day and, while I like this functionality, I’m a bit disappointed that I can’t upload content like I can with VisualCV. It seems content must be added as a link only and therefore it must reside somewhere else on the web first. Does it have to be on YouTube, Slideshare, a blog or website, or can it be in cloud based storage like Box? I’m looking forward to learning various methods of taking advantage of this new feature.

4. By Marc Miller on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I have a client who still cannot add media to their profile. It is late April and he has a premium account.

Any thoughts?

Marc Miller

5. By Jason Alba on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I would have them contact Customer Support and see what they are saying….

6. By Jigar on May 18, 2013 | Reply

Here is the proper answer provided by Linkedin : http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34325

7. By Jason Alba on May 18, 2013 | Reply

“proper” is such a funny word. It is mid-May. Everyone should have the icon and functionality. There is nothing proper about this slow release and “eventually.”