Dec 11: The Day The Apps Went Away (and LinkedIn Profiles became Relevant!!)

December 11th, 2012 | by Jason Alba |

I am getting a bunch of emails today (and yesterday) about the notification that LinkedIn Apps are going away.  This is kind of interesting.  Here’s the official page from LinkedIn that says they are going away.  Make sure you click the app name on that page for an explanation of what you need to do:

My Travel: Good… this was a bad idea from the beginning.  I mostly saw this as a blank spot on Profiles  saying “I don’t travel… but if I did it would go here.”

Legal Updates: Seriously?  Who uses that?  What is it? In my years of doing webinars on LinkedIn, no one has ever asked about it.

Portfolio Display: This was a good idea, but I’m guessing LinkedIn wanted to sever relationships outside their control and bring it in-house.  I’ve only seen about 3 Profiles that have it anyway.

Slideshare: This surprises me a little, since LinkedIn acquired Slideshare… BUT if you click on the link it says they are moving it under the Summary section… so maybe this is just a MOVE and nothing more (or less).

Lawyer Ratings: … Why did they ever have this??  I think it’s clear that LinkedIn tried to get into the legal space and woo high-paying law firms… but that didn’t work out. The place to get this type of thing is MartinDale.com.

WordPress: This was a cool idea for a few reasons, but I rarely saw this on a Profile and actually looked at the posts.  It only gave a couple lines of content, which wasn’t very engaging.  While it allowed anyone with a blog to keep their Profile constantly updated/changing, it didn’t seem to add value.

What about Box.net? Right now it is not mentioned on that page, but people are forwarding me their emails from LinkedIn saying that is going away also.  I think this is the app that will have the most impact (in other words, people will notice it is gone).

So… what now?  On the LinkedIn help page there is a link to their new “new rich media feature” help page.  This is going to be really interesting. It will make sites like VisualCV (which almost died a while ago, until someone acquired them right before closing down) much less important… since now I expect a LinkedIn Profile to be a lot more rich.

And we should see a much greater variety in how people do Profiles.

Taking away apps was like… huh?

Adding this rich media feature makes a LinkedIn Profile an amazing opportunity to share a lot of stuff… this might really become people’s homepage (aka personal website) a lot more than what it has been for the last nine years.

Check out this page: Profile Media Link Providers. If you click down on each of the “Providers” drop downs you’ll see that you can now bring in media from a ton of places… A TON.  Kudos to LinkedIn for the massive amount of work they put into those relationships and the technology behind it.

I find it especially interesting that you can add videos from places like CollegeHumor, ColbertNation and ComedyCentral (amongst many others).

I expect the “flavor” of Profiles to significantly change…

The interesting thing is that most people still have very weak Profiles.

1. 16 Responses to “Dec 11: The Day The Apps Went Away (and LinkedIn Profiles became Relevant!!)”

2. By Susan P. Joyce on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Time for another edition of your book, Jason! Lots of changes going on right now.

Cheers?
    Susan

3. By Jason Alba on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Publisher has been asking for it… glad I didn’t do it before this massive change. :)

4. By Robert Dagnall on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

LinkedIn to explode with cat videos in 3…2…1… :)

5. By Jason Alba on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Robert… very astute comment. Before this change people were limited on what they could post… with this they can access stuff they don’t own (like ComedyCentral content) and put up stuff that may hurt them, or distract from the brand they want, etc. Cats, politics, etc. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

6. By Adrian Kelly on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the overview Jason (and very timely – just got my notification today of the upgrade to the new profile!)

7. By Cheryl Simpson on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for this round-up, Jason. Couldn’t agree more that with all this profile richness available to users, LI may finally grow into its potential as a portfolio site or online presence hub for professionals at every level of their careers.

Like you, I look forward to the savvy use of the content options LinkedIn is offering. Though I must admit I dread the career mistakes sure to follow. Still, it will give us all things to blog about, that’s for sure ….

Cheryl.

8. By Jason Alba on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

@Adrian – you are welcome :)

@Cheryl – Thank you – I agree, this will give some people too much room to make mistakes… but that just shows their ability to make decisions.

9. By Robin Reshwan on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for keeping us up to date Jason. I appreciate the explanation of what the changes mean to users.

10. By Steve "Salesologist" Cadley on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Another great and timely post from the consistent leader on things LinkedIn. Great Jason! Very timely and insightful, always appreciate you cut through all the fluff and give your readers the straight skinny on things. Saved me alot of time from trying to figure this out.

11. By Paula Brand on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Jason, Thanks for this useful post. I noticed on the links you provided to LinkedIn they didn’t mentioned that they took away the Events App (for which I am very sad). Also the Books by Amazon disappeared from my profile in the change over but no mention of if it’s ever coming back.

12. By Jason Alba on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

@Robin and Steve you are welcome! I wrote this post because I was getting lots of emails, and I saw lots of chatter on elists, and knew this could blow up. Needed a good place to refer people to :)

@Paula – LinkedIn treated the Events shutdown separately. I blogged about it… I’m glad it’s gone. It was a good idea but they didn’t give it the placement it needed.

I’m guessing that since they are announcing they are taking down about 1/2 of the Apps, the other Apps will go away too. That’s just my guess.

Someone sent me instructions from Box.net (the company) on how to still use Box on LinkedIn, but I was waiting for Box to blog about it…

I think this is a case of “should we build or buy (or allow external parties to do APIs)” and where Apps on Facebook makes sense, and it is extremely open, it seems like LinkedIn is closing access from the outside and bringing it all in-house.

13. By Tony Dix on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Hi Jason, great article on the changes. I used to use Slide Share on my profile with its automatic play feature – Viewers were greeted with a 30 second welcome message. Any ideas on what I might be able to replace this with now? Slide Share is now stuck in the summary & that feature has been given the boot. Happy Holidays!

14. By Jason Alba on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

@Tony – I don’t know, I don’t have the new Profile yet to play with it.

AFAIK Summary will still be there, just moved down.

15. By John Rindy on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

I appreciate the enthusiasm in the post and the information provided. At the same time my profile GOT MESSED WITH and I am NOT happy about it. The Amazon reading list IS (well, it was) a part of my branding. I want my contacts to know that I read serious leadership and career development literature (shame on LinkedIn #1). Next, my WordPress blog never had so many hits as when I added it to my LinkedIn profile (shame on LinkedIn #2). I use(ed) the blog to send out my updates and get my “target audience” (recruiters) to read more about and care more about the people that I serve (college students). I am NOT HAPPY. This is a HUGE downgrade for me. At the same time I can see how it could be a positive depending upon how you use your profile. For my purposes, I might as well scrap the whole thing now – it is “virtually” useless to me now – at least until next time I want to go job seeking (hopefully never at my age). Thanks a bunch LinkedIn! FOR NOTHING!

Disgusted in PA

2. Dec 11, 2012: Big, Big, Big, BIG Changes at LinkedIn | JibberJobber Blog
  3. Dec 19, 2012: Finally: I got the new LinkedIn Profile! And announcements… | JibberJobber Blog