LinkedIn Maintenance: Backup Your Profile NOW!

November 30th, 2012 | by Jason Alba |

Hey folks, here’s my PSA for the year: Back up your LinkedIn Profile RIGHT NOW.  It will take you less time to do it than it will to read this post.

In July 2008 I wrote this post: LinkedIn Maintenance: Do This Right Now (or else?) I got over 60 comments, which is a lot for most blogs.

Today I saw an email from someone saying they lost most of their Recommendations on LinkedIn, through no fault of their own.  Long story, the details are not necessary, but the point is, you DO NOT want to lose your Recommendations!

So here’s what you do… maybe once a year?  Back it all up!  Here’s are the TWO simple steps to do this (this is different than how it used to be):

Step 1: Go to your Profile – either View or Edit is fine.

2. Click the drop down next to Edit, and then click the link that says “Export to PDF.”

BONUS: email that PDF file to a long-term email address, like your Gmail account.  That way you’ll have it forever!

Please, do this before the end of 2012!

1. 9 Responses to “LinkedIn Maintenance: Backup Your Profile NOW!”

2. By Adi Gaskell on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

Interesting that your endorsements don’t appear on the exported PDF file. Wonder if that’s indicative of their longevity?

3. By Regina Johnson on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

Great idea to back up something as important as your Linked In profile. Thanks for the advise!

4. By Paul P Mosley on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

I just backed up my profile and shared this to my updates and groups on LinkedIn® so people in my network can be made aware of this.
    Have a Great Day,
    Paul P. Mosley
    Penobscot Executive Search LLC

5. By Mary Pat on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Many thanks for sharing this information. I will share with my contacts!

6. By Mark Adams on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Great tip!!Will make sure I share with everyone I know. Thanks!

7. By Andrew McCauley on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

This is an awesome tip and very simple to execute. I know so many people have put a lot of time into their profiles, that its a no brainer to back it up.. great advice.. thank you
    Andrew

2. Nov 30, 2012: LinkedIn Maintenance: Do This Right Now (or else?) | JibberJobber Blog
  3. Dec 3, 2012: Back up your LinkedIn Profile NOW. #PSA | JibberJobber Blog
  4. Dec 4, 2012: I’m On LinkedIn – Now What??? » Blog Archive » LinkedIn Maintenance Part II: Backup your CONTACTS #PSA