LinkedIn Help

January 8th, 2010 | by Jason Alba |

For a few years I had owned LinkedInHelp.com and LinkedInHelp.net.

Today I finished transferring them to LinkedIn, the company.  If you want LinkedIn help you’ll have to go to their help resources.  I hope that someone there jumps on it and redirects the link instead of letting it drop (especially since it’s been live for a while and some people might have been using it).

I didn’t transfer them because I wanted to… I did it because (a) it was the right thing to do, and (b) they sent me a nasty, cold letter (email) telling me I better transfer it to them or else.

I don’t care for “or else,” so I transferred it.

In the course of transferring and communicating with them I actually got a real communication from a real LinkedIn employee – so I took advantage of the opportunity and asked “what’s with being a “relationship company” but sending that really cold, impersonal, and even threatening email to me?”

I’m nobody special to them, but I do think I’ve helped them increase visibility and credibility.  Not a reason to give me special treatment, but man, that letter was disturbing.

This was not-a-fun process, but it ended nicely since I got to spend some time on the phone with the LinkedIn guy – I asked him why it was such a cold letter and he said “let’s get on the phone and talk about this.”

Very classy… thank you Mr. ____ from LinkedIn, for making that a pleasant experience.

To read the letter, and some very passionate thoughts (on both sides of the fence) on this issue, you can read LinkedStrategies.com post titled: LinkedIn: Are You Crazy! referring to LinkedIn dude Sean Nelson. Luckily mine didn’t end like that :)

1. 9 Responses to “LinkedIn Help”

2. By Steve Duncan on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

My advice for Linkedin remains the same: Use it, but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GIVE THEM MONEY.

I know you did what you did because you’re an honest, honorable guy, but this is the kind thing that makes me want to close my account.

Oh well, at the rate They are jumping the shark, it’s not going to matter soon anyway.

3. By Neal Schaffer on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Jason,

Wow! LinkedIn sure sounds like they are lining their ducks up and going around making all of their evangelizers, like yourself, angry…not a smart thing to do! I agree that, through your book, blogging, and speaking, you have done an amazing job evangelizing the power of LinkedIn. It’s a shame that it had to come down to an email communication…

I may have been lucky…I got notification of what happened to Sean right after I had switched my blog from http://LinkedInQuestions.wordpress.com over to my new professional networking brand http://WindmillNetworking.com … otherwise, I may have been writing about the same thing!!!

Anyways, I am sure that we are both still some of the biggest LinkedIn fans (and evangelizers!) around, so all we can do is to continue to move forward and help others!

@NealSchaffer

4. By Julius on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

not to you. They did it to me and pretty much to all the power users I know. I mean they have been unresponsive, stubborn, cocky and disrespectful.

That should not happen to someone like you who is widely recognized as the Linkedin enabler, someone passionate about it.

I agree with Steve and I may add to that the complete lack of community management. Numbers and profits are the only things that matter over at Linkedin. We’ll see what happens.

Julius

5. By Steven Rothberg CollegeRecruiter.com on Jan 9, 2010 | Reply

I understand and agree with LinkedIn’s goals in protecting their intellectual property but their methods were, as you’ve well said, unfortunate. We’ve had a few cases over the years of honest people making honest mistakes by registering and in some cases using domain names that infringed on our federally registered mark. So the problem that we faced was quite similar to what LinkedIn faced with you. Rather than sending a cold, threatening emails our attorneys recommended that I as CEO send a warm “we’re happy to see that our interest in helping job seekers is shared by you” kind of an email but then explaining that what they’re doing creates a legal problem for us and why and then offered to buy the domains from them for what they had paid so they wouldn’t be out-of-pocket. In every single case, the people we contacted immediately and graciously complied with our requests. No fight. No bad feelings. Good attorneys.

6. By Steven Burda, MBA on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Linkedin doesn’t care for you Jason nor me not other people who made Linkedin who they are today.

Sad, I know.

One day, this will be their downfall.

They will reach to you again… for help.

7. By Steven Burda, MBA on Jan 10, 2010 | Reply

Can you give us the person name? I don’t think he said you can’t.

- Steven Burda

8. By Fred Dempster on Jan 11, 2010 | Reply

Like all big companies (even though 500 employees is not that big) they do not understand that it is the people that take the “build the platform and they shall come” and tinker with it, send suggestions back that then become the new features and growth.

Thanks to you all for bringing the LinkedIn experience to the street where we all can understand and use it!

9. By Jason Alba on Jan 12, 2010 | Reply

Guys, thanks for your support… it really means a lot to me. I know that if someone bought JibberJobberhelp.com I’d request they give it to me, too. How is the issue here.

Steven, sorry, I’m not going to share the name of this dude at LI :p

2. Sep 23, 2010: goodbye LinkedIn Help | I'm On LinkedIn - Now What???