Would You Pay $43.33/month for LinkedIn Access?

December 8th, 2009 | by Jason Alba |

I just got an email from the chairma of Ecademy:

ecademy_pricing

I’ve not really paid much attention to Ecademy… it is a European professional network.  The two things I think I know about Ecademy are:

1. There are lots of small businesses there promoting their stuff (hawking their warez). This is quite a big difference between Ecademy and LinkedIn – sure there is business stuff in LinkedIn, but I think the general feeling is in LinkedIn it’s the professional first, company second (in many cases).  I don’t know, but what I’ve heard, in Ecademy it’s my company first, then the professional.
  2. Scott Allen is the expert in Ecademy.  He was a few years ago, I don’t know if he’s kept up with it.

That’s really all I know about Ecademy.

I find it intriguing that they have been charging $39.95/month for blackstar level access… that is more than LinkedIn’s lowest ($20/month) level.

WHO IS PAYING THAT?

Enough people, apparently, to encourage them to increase the price by about 10%.

My thoughts were:

1. Would regular LinkedIn users pay $40 or $43/month for a high-level access?  I doubt it.  Companies would, but I doubt individuals would.
  2. Would LinkedIn users be okay with a 10% increase in the fee?  I highly doubt it.  We’ve become so accustomed to getting lots of stuff online for free… not for regular increases in monthly fees.

I don’t know much about Ecademy now but I’ve always wanted to learn more… time and money have been my issues.

1. 11 Responses to “Would You Pay $43.33/month for LinkedIn Access?”

2. By Julius Solaris on Dec 8, 2009 | Reply

Hi JAson,

eCademy does not have a good reputation around here. Its inability to fight spam kept it to a network of 300K members although it’s been around for 10 years or so.

If Linkedin switched to that model they’d end up with the same figures! Most of the people would migrate to some other platforms.

Xing and Viadeo are a much better example on how to do things properly in Europe.

Julius

3. By Adi - The Management Blog on Dec 9, 2009 | Reply

I’m not a big fan of Ecademy either. I was a member a few years ago and it did seem to attract a lot of small businesses looking to sell things. Having said that it has worked for some people but I believe they’re the minority rather than the majority.

4. By Andrew Horder on Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

Ecademy isn’t LinkedIn – it doesn’t try to be. It’s a whole different attitude & ethos. Yes, there are occasional bursts of blogverts on the “blogs” forum, but on the whole it’s got some good content – albeit a bit smiley-nicey for some peoples’ tastes. Each to their own, I say, nothing wrong with being positive, so long as you don’t mind people being a bit skeptical too.

Ecademy has more of a community feel to it than most of the major social/business network sites. If that suits you, you’ll enjoy it; if not, you may find it a bit cloying. Me, I love it. As I say, each to their own.

Mind you, I would like it, wouldn’t I – I’m a lifetime BlackStar Foundation member on Ecademy :)

5. By Andreas Wiedow on Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

@ Would You Pay $43.33/month for LinkedIn Access?

No, I’d still go straight for foundation as I did. But that’s my personal thing, I don’t like monthly dues and prefer pay offs in one go.

My foundation paid off many times over. In addition to my regular business.

Yes, there’s many small businesses. Yes, there’s many who didn’t get ecademy and left or resorted to regular membership. And there’s serious businessmen who ‘got’ ecademy. One of my partners just got a first inquiry from a major German health insurance a few weeks ago about a large number of coaches and train-the-coaches needed. Via their ecademy activity.

6. By Warren Harlow on Dec 10, 2009 | Reply

Ecademy is an on-line cult populated largely by sycophants.

The couple who run it pose as gurus and spout a lot of sound-bite rubbish about how next year (it’s always next year) large companies – and even money – will disappear to be replaced by “networkers” working for no reward save for knowing that they do the Powers’ Will.

Most of the people who make money there do it by selling services to the gullible (profile makeovers, profile pix, how to use Twitter, etc.)

The place is in gradual decline – check out the traffic at Quantcast for proof:

7. By Dave T on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Warren, there are always bitter and twisted ex members of every site. When the attacks are aimed at the owners rather than the platform, it usually means envy.

Please stay away because Ecademy is definitely not for you.

8. By Mehmet Yildiz on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Interesting post. I cannot comment about the Blackstar payment as I am an OrangeStar a.k.a. PowerNetworker which is around aprox. $5 per month.
    I am also member of Linkedin which I enjoy it very much. They are totally different kinds of dynamics. We already know the reputation of Linkedin. Even though Ecademy is not in the same level yet, it is a diverse network with wealth of information from content perspective. For example, it has an active blogging area as well as many clubs producing content in specialised areas.

I believe the payment part of the Ecademy adds other business values for small business owners which is not a direct interest to me.
    However, I learn a lot from the interaction with entrepreneurs from various fields.

9. By Chinello Ifebigh on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Ecademy is a living community of business people who have chosen to do business and build social networks in an extremely social setting. For the ecademists, ecademy is home; a warm nest where fledglings and top business people coexist. Here the former can safetly spread their new entrepreneurial wings and learn the ropes within the confines of a supportive community.
    For the experienced buisness people, ecademy is a great place to find and do business and to mentor the fledglings. The unusual thing about ecademy is that it is a people and value- based business oasis which attracts business people from all over the world, seeking to approach entrepreneurship through friendship,trust and a win-win for all involved.
    Does this make us dreamers and idealists? Possibly but then again; the whole world as we see it in all her technological and poetic glory was built on the visions of dreamers.

Chinello Ifebigh
    RegionalClub Leader Ecademy Zaanstreek

10. By Warren Harlow on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

It’s in the nature of a cult, Dave T, that the self-appointed gurus and the movement itself are as one. The Powers and their continually changing cadre of hapless attendants put themselves forward as seers or prophets and make such extraordinary pronouncements that any thinking person MUST object and dissent.

As for envy — you are wrong. I really wouldn’t wish to earn my crust doing what they do, and certainly not in the way they do it.

Finally, remember that Ecademy is a public place, so forgive me if I ignore your advice to stay away. Anyway, have you not yet learned that the latest Ecademy philosophy is ORS (Open Random & Supportive) as opposed to CSC (Closed Controlling & Selective)? You come across as a bit CSC. Not good. Perhaps you should sign up for one of Thomas’ retreats to learn about such things. It’ll only cost you a grand.

11. By Jason Alba on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Hey people, thanks for the varied opinions on Ecademy. The intention of my post was to ask LinkedIn members if they would pay that much for access… not to start a holy war about Ecademy… however, I do appreciate the comments as I’ve learned about Ecademy. Coincidentally, this is the same type of commentary, with the same level of passion (for and against) that I experienced a couple of years ago.

12. By Amy Franko on Dec 11, 2009 | Reply

Hey Jason, there’d have to be some GREAT benefits for $40+ dollars a month.

Lately, I’m seeing a lot of entrepreneurs who run membership programs (granted, they aren’t LI) either cut them altogether, or drastically reduce their monthly fees.

I consider LI part of my marketing budget, and the $20/month I pay today as a small business owner fits that budget. I use it pretty extensively, so the ROI is worth it for me.

But if the fees did go up, there would definitely have to be a greater ROI potential to justify the increase.