My LinkedIn Complaint

March 25th, 2009 | by Jason Alba |

You know something that bugs me?  It’s not a big deal, but every time I see it it’s almost like hearing fingernails scrape across a chalkboard.

When someone invites me to connect and they say something like:

I think I’ve blogged about this before… can’t remember what my position was on it back then… but I dislike seeing this for two reasons:

1. I don’t like people telling me what to do…. this is just my human nature pride getting in the way, but if I already have a process to deal with unsolicited invitations I don’t want you to tell me how to respond.  I know this is petty but I think this is one reason why it bugs me.  And yeah, I realize I tell others what to do, too.
  2. Typically, people who send me an invitation to connect on LinkedIn that has this statement is someone who doesn’t know me, doesn’t have a personalized LinkedIn invitation that gives a hint they will care about me, and probably doesn’t care about me as a relationship (rather, just as a way to get their second and third degree networks to grow).

Again, this isn’t a HUGE deal, but it is one of my LinkedIn pet peeves.

Maybe I’m just grouchy today :p

1. 6 Responses to “My LinkedIn Complaint”

2. By Sophie Lagace on Mar 25, 2009 | Reply

I agree entirely. I only see these from people who didn’t take the time to give me a reason to want to connect. Hint: “We’re in the same LinkedIn Group” is not a reason. We already have a (faint) connection through the group, now give me a reason to want to connect to you more closely — and don’t tell me whether to archive, ignore, or bounce you!

3. By Natalia Corres on Mar 26, 2009 | Reply

This is also a pet peeve of mine. If you want to make my acquaintance, and potentially do business with me on some level (even if it is to get to my connections) don’t tell me how to handle your invitation, but do tell me why I might want to know you. I am not against open networking, it has its place. I still want to know a bit about the person, and what they do etc… so I have some chance of remembering them should someone ask me if I can recommend an acme widgit changer I might be able to say, “Hey yes, I remember to connecting to just such a person the other day”. Sorry to rant, it is a sore spot.

4. By Robert Goldasich on Mar 26, 2009 | Reply

Good Post.

I don’t think this is as bad as everyone is making it out to be…

I do agree that a reason to want to connect should be provided first by the “asker” prior to adding the request to archive rather than IDK the invite.

Let me give you a real-life example where perhaps I would use a request to archive: In the “People you may know” section of my Linkedin Home page, I repeatedly keep seeing the name of an IT guy that I used to work with. Let’s say that I want to connect to him (I don’t really want to, but that’s beside the point). Although I worked with this guy and interacted with him, I’m not sure if he’ll remember me. In this case, I would point out in my invite that we worked together at “ABC Company” and in which function and that perhaps he may not remember me. Then I would add that if he chose not to accept the invite, to archive rather than IDK it. I’d probably leave off the part about “adversely affecting my account” (because, really…who cares) and just type: “Please archive this invitation rather than selecting IDK if you choose not to connect”. I think most people know that by asking them to archive that you’re trying to stay out of “Linkedin Jail”.

In a nutshell, I’m saying only use this technique when you’re not 100% sure if the person will remember you. In the case of someone who has no relation to me at all asking me to archive, I totally agree with you and the previous 2 comments made.

5. By Daria Steigman on Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

Sorry, Robert, but I’m with Jason on this one. There are lots of options for getting noticed besides LinkedIn (such as using someone’s LinkedIn profile to get enough information to figure out how to contact them outside the network). If you’re not sure the LinkedIn reaction, I’d advice trying to reach out through another channel.

I haven’t had anyone try the “please don’t Don’t Know me” yet, but it strikes me as spammer behavior. Honestly, it would raise a huge red flag for me — and make me far more likely to report someone or DK them than to ignore them. If you’re not sure about the person you’re trying to connect with, stop and think about that before you send them an invite to get LinkedIn.

6. By Rachel on Mar 29, 2009 | Reply

How about when people send a linkedin message saying “I’ve run out of invites but can you please invite me to join your network?”

Hate that.

7. By J. Harper on Apr 23, 2009 | Reply

I wouldn’t care for such a statement; however, as a new user it would certainly be useful information. I’d rather not put someone in LinkedIn jail due solely to my faulty memory. So I think it does serve a purpose. If you are connecting with someone with fewer than 10 links or so I would see no harm in it, and that bit of due diligence would answer the question of, “have you put any time or thought into this request?”

Regarding Rachel’s comment:
    How can you even run out of invites? The whole concept just seems silly to me. I understand the limitation serves a useful function, but I still do not agree with it. I really want to start using LinkedIn, but limitations like that are simply bothersome.