Searching for LinkedIn Groups? Now you can… finally!

July 9th, 2008 | by Jason Alba |

I got an e-mail from LinkedIn yesterday, as a group owner, that they are building a search feature into the LinkedIn Groups page by the end of this week.

It’s about time :p Whenever I talk about LinkedIn Groups, one of the most common questions is “how do I find LinkedIn Groups I should join?”

I’ve even blogged about finding LinkedIn Groups before, and tried to piece together some sources for you… but maybe that will all be useless and outdated once July 11th comes around.

There’s a bunch of information on yesterday’s blog post at the LinkedIn blog about this feature… the thing I found most interesting is they say there are over 90,000 LinkedIn Groups.

Man, that’s a lot more than I would have guessed!  After they release the search feature we’ll be able to see which Groups we should join :)

1. 11 Responses to “Searching for LinkedIn Groups? Now you can… finally!”

2. By Phyllis Zimbler Miller on Jul 9, 2008 | Reply

This is really exciting news. I’ve been trying to utilize LinkedIn more effectively and find it difficult to do so. This feature should really make a difference.

3. By Jason Alba on Jul 9, 2008 | Reply

I agree, this was a missing feature for much too long. What they had before just didn’t cut it…. !

4. By Thomas E. Kenny on Jul 9, 2008 | Reply

WOW 90,000 groups.

And now for some LinkedIn group trivia!

The very first LinkedIn group was “The Java Posse” which happens to be my favorite podcast.

One of the LinkedIn employees who developed the LinkedIn group feature of course was a fan of their podcast.

5. By Schmoozii on Jul 9, 2008 | Reply

Yep, this is something I requested about a year ago. Seems like it would have been included when they first started the groups section.

6. By Jason Alba on Jul 9, 2008 | Reply

@Tom – you amaze me with your trivia… that is very, very cool!

@Schmoozii – and for that, I’m expecting all the bells and whistles when they actually roll it out ;)

7. By Leah G. on Jul 11, 2008 | Reply

Nice! Thanks for letting us know.

8. By LA Blogger Gal on Jul 13, 2008 | Reply

This is great news!! Up until now, I’ve only found new groups by seeing what my contacts belong to.

9. By Bob Galigula on Aug 14, 2008 | Reply

And now, less than one month later, you can only join 50 out of 90,000+ groups.

The Linkedin team are IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By Bob Galigula on Aug 14, 2008 | Reply

Call them to complain.

LinkedIn Corporation
    1840 Embarcadero Rd.
    Palo Alto, CA 94303
    650-687-3600
    Fax: 650-687-0505
    Feeling a bit disconnected? LinkedIn wants to help. The company is an online business network designed to help professionals find jobs, people, and services providers. LinkedIn offers four premium services: LinkedIn Jobs, LinkedIn Services, LinkedIn Groups, and LinkedIn Business Accounts. The company has grown to reach more than 5 million users nationwide since its inception in 2003. Investors include Sequoia Capital, Greylock, Marc Andreessen (co-founder of Netscape and chairman of Opsware), Joe Kraus (co-founder of Excite), Josh Kopelman (founder of Half.com), and Peter Thiel (co-founder of PayPal).
    Annual Sales (mil.) $3.0

Director Product Management Lucian Beebe
    Director Sales Brendon Cassidy
    Senior Technical Recruiter Hilary Taubman-Dye
    Manager Corporate Development Steven Stegman
    Senior Systems Architect Ian McNish
    CEO Daniel T. H. (Dan) Nye Age 40

I looked at their telephone numbers and using one of my handy dandy stab-in tricks I dialed a little beyond it. I can tell you 650 687 3615 is a live body! So will (probably be,
    3616, 3617, etc.) It seems they have 18 (of their 24?) employees listed so I’d stick close to the 3600 when dialing!

Loretta Thomas Customer Support Liaison San Fran

Poor thing, she’s about to get deluged. She’s there Ãs I checked!

They also appear to have a customer support center in Omaha:
    Angela Burleigh Customer Support
    Sakessa Moss Customer Support
    Rob McClenahan Customer Support Professional

William Conner Customer Support Professional Support@LinkedIn.com
    Suzy Jackson Customer Support ;)
    By the way the company directory spills with just ONE entry – pressing A for any names starting with A,B or C gives you about ten names, and some of them appear to be first names starting with A, B or c as well as last names starting with same.

11. By Jason Alba on Aug 14, 2008 | Reply

I just read today on a forum that they are also limiting group owners to only own 10 groups…. they are really laying down the smack.

12. By Jason's Alibai on Sep 7, 2008 | Reply

Funny how it still says:

You can join as many groups as you belong to. We anticipate that the average user of LinkedIn probably belongs to at least three to four groups that are meaningful to their professional life.

Damn Bush administration wannabes!