I Don't Care About You (let me prove it)

May 13th, 2008 | by Jason Alba |

All it takes to be different… to show you care… is one simple line.  It’s not much, is it?

1. 9 Responses to “I Don't Care About You (let me prove it)”

2. By Mary on May 13, 2008 | Reply

This is one of my big pet peeves – in addition, b/c my company name happens to have McDonald in it, I get requests all the time from folks at McDonald Corp. to connect using this very same boilerplate info — I send ‘em back a note telling ‘em that not every company that has “mcd” in it is a golden arches company – then hit the “i don’t know xyz” button. If they didn’t take the time to read my co. name or anything else, I’m not gonna take the time to be nice and not hit the IDK button…

3. By Liz Ryan on May 14, 2008 | Reply

I love it — it’s so true. If you want to send the message “it’s all about growing my network – you’re just a cog in my machine” this is the way to do it! Bravo!

4. By Katie Felten on May 15, 2008 | Reply

Jason great post… I feel the same way especially when people know better…sometimes I do check the profile to see if it might be a person new to LinkedIn and if it is I will reply with some tips on how to send invites and archive it but if I see they have tons of connections I hit the IDK button.

5. By Bill on May 15, 2008 | Reply

OK, I’m probably missing the point, BUT you’re not really saying this is a proper message to send to someone you’re inviting to connect with . . . right?

I sometimes find sarcastic responses harder to discern so I’m just cross-checking my assumptions here . . .

6. By Jason Alba on May 15, 2008 | Reply

Bill, no problem… I’m definitely not saying to send the above message out. What I am saying is, if you JUST leave the regular, canned message, it’s as if you put the next line.

7. By Bill on May 15, 2008 | Reply

Amen, Brother Alba . . . Amen!

P. S.
    Tom Clifford speaks GLOWINGLY of you!

8. By Michael Rowley on Oct 25, 2008 | Reply

I too hate the canned message… and always make it personal. I do not “IDK” them’ but I have followed up with themn and suggested they would be more effective with a personal note.

2. May 30, 2008: Stop Passively Not Caring. Be Active About It!
  3. Sep 23, 2008: “If You Don’t Want To Connect” and Other Lame Statements on LinkedIn | I'm On LinkedIn - Now What???