Does Your LinkedIn Profile Suck?

February 6th, 2009 | by Jason Alba |

Last night on Twitter I asked if anyone would let me review their LinkedIn Profile for a webinar I’m creating.  I had a ton of people say they wanted me to review theirs… I rarely find a LinkedIn Profile that has all the right stuff, and many are just plain bad, while a lot are fine.  Not excellent, not comepelling, but fine.

In my recording I said “this stuff isn’t necessarily make-it-or-break-it,” because I don’t want to give you the impression that the best LinkedIn Profile is going to be your silver bullet.  Perhaps no one will ever find it… so what good will it do?

I do think it’s better to have a strong, fleshed out LinkedIn Profile.  But I’m sure people with bad Profiles are still getting value out of LinkedIn, if the right person finds the Profile.

It’s like the time I asked a buddy how he found his ultra-sweet job, sure that he’d say networking (because that’s what works in a job search, right), and he said Monster.com.

Ugh.  All I’d ever heard about finding a job (stay away from job boards) was just proven to be wrong.

Same with your Profile… I encourage you to have a strong LinkedIn Profile, but it’s not necessarily going to make you or break you.

I’m assuming that since you are reading this blog you probably already have a better Profile than most… what do you think is most important in a LinkedIn Profile?

1. 7 Responses to “Does Your LinkedIn Profile Suck?”

2. By Shawn Nakamoto on Feb 6, 2009 | Reply

I just learned about your blog. I’ve been on LinkedIn for a few months and love the fact that it allowed me to reconnect with colleagues from around the nation. I’m trying to keep this tool as my professional tool, although I do have a link to my personal blog (I do this to show that I actually have some skills in the social media arena). Will continue to read your posts to learn more about using LinkedIn effectively. Thanks!

3. By Lisa Hendrickson on Feb 7, 2009 | Reply

I created a pro bono project “Project Link It Forward”

To help folks learn to use LinkedIn to find leads and opportunities. Profiles are way important! I give them some simple tips to showcase themselves and stand out above the rest of the candidates. I say it’s very important to have a great profile.

4. By Elizabeth Frick on Feb 7, 2009 | Reply

I think you are right…most people don’t have a clue about creating and maintaining their profile. I always can tell a “permanent captive” because they basically have NO profile (meaning it fits within one screen). Once they are laid off, they have to start redoing their profile.

In many ways, I think LI profiles may replace the standard resume and website.

Keep up the good work!

5. By Mariusz Kuc on Feb 8, 2009 | Reply

Probably I am good example of average LI user. Initailly I considered it as a way to reconnect with buddies from past times. Now, I am looking for a job and ..
    I hope I understand that LI can play role of CV repository but using LI actively to find new assignement – it is magic!

6. By David on Feb 8, 2009 | Reply

what happens if I just dont want all my contacts knoing about each other? better yet, what if some of my contacts dont want to be connected with others?

7. By Brad Attig on Feb 14, 2009 | Reply

I view one’s LinkedIn profile with the same importance as a resume. A great one doesn’t assure you will get the job but a bad one can really hurt you.

Considering that a large number of recruiters, HR professionals and executives are on LI, it makes complete sense to maintain a professional appearance on it.

One thing I always recommend to my clients is the put together a Word document with all of their profiles, Resume, LI, Ning, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Then look at each section, say the “About Me” and see if they are fairly consistent.

Granted, you won’t brag about your Horseshoe competition wins on your resume and you won’t put last quarters financial results on your Facebook page but keep the story straight.

I often see someone’s resume, LI and Facebook pages out of alignment with each other, it makes me wonder which is correct. Having all the “copy” in one place makes it easy to update everything when you make a change to any of them. Love that cut and paste.

I view the resume and LI as requiring the most professional foot forward and belive there can be a little slack in a FB or Twitter profile. Just try not to go overboard and regonize that a preopective employer may be looking at all of them when considering you.

8. By Trevor on Feb 20, 2009 | Reply

I recently applied for a position in Barcelona. Once the head hunters contacted me, I looked them up in LinkedIn, sent a message, and directed them to my linkedin page where I have a link to my blog and of course the typical work info. So, my point is that I use linkedin to sort of back up my professional status when applying for positions. It also helps to keep in contact with old co-workers. Check out my blog: trevorlandia.blogspot.com