The LinkedIn Professional Headline

January 28th, 2009 | by Jason Alba |

You know that little blurb below your name, on your LinkedIn Profile?  They call it a “professional headline.”

Most people just have their title, even if it’s a non-descript, boring title.  Probably because we like to identify ourselves by our title (cool if it’s big, horrible if you are unemployed :p).

I recommend you put something more grabbing… think of a marketing hook.  Here’s my old one:

Helping YOU achieve “income security” by implementing career management using JibberJobber.com

That was almost okay, but I was never completely happy with it.  I recently changed it to this:

Helping people organize their job search, and professional relationships, with JibberJobber.com

It’s more descriptive and less jargony.

What does yours say?

1. 10 Responses to “The LinkedIn Professional Headline”

2. By Kris Hoots on Jan 28, 2009 | Reply

Because I read your book and because you are one of my connections, I observed just how much better it was to have a description vs. a job title. It simply stands out.

Accordingly, here’s mine:

Providing solution-focused marketing, development and
    communications strategies to Christian non-profit organizations.

3. By Jim Price on Jan 29, 2009 | Reply

Jason:

Great article! I am guilty of using my title to describe myself. I had never considered my headline from a marketing standpoint. Here is my updated headline:

Executive management professional providing exceptional strategic leadership to organizations serving young people and their families.

4. By Don McCallen on Jan 29, 2009 | Reply

I have a simple explanation of what I am doing:

Actively seeking employment as a Leader at your Company.

5. By kp on Feb 6, 2009 | Reply

Hi Jason,
    Do you have any advice for people that have their colleagues and boss on linkedin? I would rather not post details about the other projects I have been working on on the side – it concerns me that folks at my company would think I’m not putting my 100% into my day job. LinkedIn doesnt provide a way to create multiple profiles, does it?

That said, how do I spice up my “professional headline” without getting into any sort of trouble? :)
    To put things in perspective my full-time day job is: software engineer, and I am working part time as a product manager for an internet startup.
    Thoughts?

6. By Robert Goldasich on Feb 8, 2009 | Reply

Good Post.

My professional headline reads:

“Trainer/Instructional Designer – Increasing Bottom Line Profitability Through Learning Strategies”

7. By Vito on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

i am also interested on comments on kp previous post: how to balance between spice up info and being concerned of your wormates and boss joined linkedin???

8. By Jason Alba on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

@KP and @Vito – have you looked to see if any others from your company are on LinkedIn? Specifically, any managers or owners? If they are there, then you shouldn’t have to worry about it….

If they aren’t there, you can buy them my book, which is NOT written for job seekers, but for PROFESSSIONALS (including entrepreneurs, etc.).

You can show them, from a search, how you can find customers, prospects, etc.

2. Jan 29, 2009: LinkedIn “Professional Headline” for the Unemployed | I'm On LinkedIn - Now What???
  3. May 27, 2009: LinkedIn Groups Discussion Tip | I'm On LinkedIn - Now What???
  4. Feb 24, 2010: I’m On LinkedIn – Now What??? » Blog Archive » LinkedIn Profile Critique: Thom Allen