Are You Leveraging The Power of LinkedIn?

January 15th, 2009 | by Jason Alba |

There are many ways to leverage the power of LinkedIn, of course… here’s one of my favorites.

When you do something on another social environment (whether that’s a Yahoo Group, your blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) you could refer back to LinkedIn.  Maybe you refer back to your Profile, or a question you asked in LinkedIn Answers.  Or maybe you write a question on LinkedIn Answers referring back to what you did elsewhere.

For example, yesterday I wrote Letter to University Professors: Stop Failing Us on my JibberJobber blog.  Right after I wrote it I went to LinkedIn Answers and created a question, tapping into my LinkedIn network.  These are people who don’t read my blog, but should know about this message.  I also pointed back to my blog and invited people to comment on LinkedIn Answers OR on my blog.

As a bonus, I tweeted the blog post, which became my facebook status.

So let’s say that one message went out to 1,000 blog readers.  Then, it became available to 1,000 LinkedIn contacts.  Then, it went out to 1,000 Twitter followers.  And another 1,000 Facebook Friends.

There is crossover in all of these network lists, of course, but I think there’s immense value because I’m taking the message to where you are, not forcing you to come to my blog.  And my one message got more exposure than if I just let it sit on my blog.

When I do this the word that pops into my mind is “repurposing.”  Scott Allen, a mentor, talked about repurposing articles, and how you can take one article and spin it off many ways to get more value out of it (without rewriting a bunch of articles from scratch).

The result?  I got a 12 long comments on my blog, 15 responses on LinkedIn (8 from people outside of my first degree), and a number of responses on Twitter and Facebook.

Are you doing something similar?

1. 8 Responses to “Are You Leveraging The Power of LinkedIn?”

2. By Patti Wilson on Jan 16, 2009 | Reply

This is a great idea but I wonder if it isn’t like the snake swallowing it’s tail. I am a first degree connection to you on Linkedin. I follow you on Twitter and I will probably now Friend you on Facebook. If that happens a lot then the numbers are duplicated. And won’t you start sounding redundant to your network?
    Is there such a thing as over exposure?

3. By Jason Alba on Jan 16, 2009 | Reply

Patti, great point. I doubt that many of my contacts are actually looking in all of those places, and paying attention to more then one or two.

Let’s assume I have 1k followers in each network… but some totally favor twitter, others will only be on FB or LI, or read this blog (probably because they subscribe to it)… this way I can hit as many people who follow me IN THE PLACE they are most comfortoble.

If they are indeed on each of the networks, paying attention, I doubt it will look like noise. Because I’m in so many places my brain has been conditioned to ignore a lot of noise… if I see a lot of postings everywhere by one person with the same message I ask “is it spammy/offensive/pitchy?” or “is there some intellectual conversation/question?”

I’ll noodle more on your point… these are just thoughts off the top of my head.

4. By Patti Wilson on Jan 16, 2009 | Reply

This makes a lot of sense. My concern for my own business has always been about overdoing my contacts with my audience. Now I think that I have been under doing.

The other point is that not everybody reads everything all of the time. Some favor one modality over another.

And we lose sight of the fact that we are talking about stuff that didn’t exist 5 years ago. It’s all uncharted waters.
    Best,
    Patti

5. By Jason Alba on Jan 16, 2009 | Reply

I agree Patti… glad to have this dialogue. I should mention that I don’t do this ALL THE TIME… I try and keep it to a minimum, only when the particular message might merit it.

Another thought I had was that if I “overdo it” then people will choose to not listen, or disconnect from me. If that happens a lot that is a sign that I’m doing it wrong (wrong message, or wrong frequency, etc.)

6. By Patti Wilson on Jan 16, 2009 | Reply

I have never had a blog comment exchange before, I am a virgin, you are my first. So thank you!

Your last point is right on. These are all tools to use, but it is still all about the messaging.

What I say, how I say it, the value is in the content imparted in 140 charadters or 500 words.

Wrong frequency…interesting term…I like way it connotes communication style.

Thanks, have a good weekend

7. By Jason Alba on Jan 16, 2009 | Reply

comment exchange is good – thanks for the dialogue :)

2. Jan 15, 2009: FacebookAdvice.com » Blog Archive » Are you leveraging Facebook in your social strategy?
  3. Jan 27, 2009: 65+ killer resources to become a Networking Idol | Julius Solaris Blog