What is your 2009 LinkedIn strategy?

January 2nd, 2009 | by Jason Alba |

What will you do different in 2009 than what you did in 2008 with your LinkedIn strategy?

Feel free to share what you’ll do with your social networking strategy in general… here are some of my thoughts:

• I plan on being more diligent with my LinkedIn Answers strategy, asking more questions on a regular basis,
  • I plan on collecting case studies (stories) of people who are getting ROI from LinkedIn, and helping others know what they can do,
  • I plan on finding more Groups I should join and participate in the discussions,
  • I plan on using the Advanced Search more, to find prospective partners and people who I should do business with,
  • I plan on using Events, even though it’s like the infant feature in LinkedIn, I’m hoping it picks up some steam.

What do you plan to do differently this year?

Still trying to figure out what the heck value LinkedIn has for you, in your business or career?  Perhaps it’s time to break down and buy my book.  You can get the LinkedIn book on Amazon, or get the ebook (for $11.95) and/or the paperback from my publisher.
  1. 9 Responses to “What is your 2009 LinkedIn strategy?”

2. By Royce Williard on Jan 2, 2009 | Reply

Similar to you, I plan to be more diligent about answering and asking questions on LinkedIn. I also plan to send an invitation to connect to those whose questions I answer and/or offer insightful comments on my questions.

Additionally, I plan to attempt to use LinkedIn similar to face to face networking by suggesting “one on one” 30 minute phone conversions with newly added key influencers in my network. The purpose of the phone conversation would be to learn more about the individual and their needs. I don’t intend to attempt this with all people in the network, simply those who are viewed as key influencers.

Finally, I plan to be more diligent at linking my LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook strategies in order to facilitate more of a personal connection.

3. By Ramon Thomas on Jan 3, 2009 | Reply

My focus will be to help my clients increase their ROI from LinkedIn. In South Africa we have now over 50,000 maybe approaching 80,000 LinkedIn users and most do not fully complete their profiles. And I want to help them re-write those profiles to double or triple leads and revenue from social networking profiles.

4. By Veronica on Jan 3, 2009 | Reply

There is one issue with linked in that i feel is essential.

I have seen many former people who worked for a company that i created, and brought in by some partners, who essentially destroyed the company, stole clients and tried to and succeeded in getting my partner and i removed from the company. Basically, my partner and i created some amazing technology, brought in the investor who insisted on bringing in some wallstreet types and they ran the company into the ground, gave themselves huge salaries, showed up to work maybe a few days a week, (my partner and i worked 7 days a week up until the very end) and then had all the time in the world to fly around with our investor and convince him that we were no good fo r the company, transferring their blame onto us.
    They stole what good we did and credited themselves, and blamed their faults on us.

After taking us off payroll, we continued on as advisors when we could and finally moved on. My partner and i have since started 2 new companies, billed out 6 figures in revenue, and have 3 investors interested in a new technology that we created-all during an economic downturn.

They “others” in -turn, have not started any new companies, the former president has a desk sales job-hmmm, the former head of marketing, who did nothing, i took on the role without the fancy paycheck, has just been fired from his job – out of work. The former CFO has caused all kinds of irs and tax problems that he left on the company. He did not bother to do workman’s comp. so now there are over $40,000 in fines and he approved over several hundred thousand dollars of fees and payouts to companies, some of which do not exist. These are the people who replaced us. we started this company in my kitchen, but we are not MBA’s, so just like wall street, the running of our company was forced upon us to take investment, and look what we got.

So, when i look at the resume entries in Linked IN i get mad. I feel that my partner and my success should be enough, but i see how these people list their skillsets and what frustrates me is that some other unsuspecting employer will hire these guys and then be just as damaged too. I guess it is good to know that the graphic designer the partners brought in who never worked on company stuff, did personal websites for the “others” and even stole some clients from the company as a “freelancer” i am so glad to see that he lists himself as our “art director” when it was my partner and myself and other good people, who designed everything-from the branding and logo to the skin and design and architecture of the player. He refused to do our company website so i worked with an intern to do it! and that was all fine because he was friends with one of the rich investors. But then he complained that i should no longer be allowed to bring in interns?! as he was head of graphics and only he could, so we never grew that department.

any way, as much as linked in is a tool, like any tool it can be abused. my partner and i took on low paying jobs after the company ended-the investor pulled the funding, to get where we are today. the “others” bad mouthed us so much in our industry and lied about what we did and what they did that they made us the bad guys. So we had to start over again, doing jobs for low to no fee to build our reputation back up.

But that has completely turned around now and we worked our asses off to get here. the great thing is a resume only get you so far, eventually they realize these guys are not and never were innovative or even savvy enough to have anything constructive to do with our company. but they list themselves with skillsets that are either non existant or even exactly opposite of what they “accomplished”

WE lost everything, took paycuts, got evicted from our homes and a business office rented temporarilly by these idiots and left in my name is now being paid off by me. personally. But we will have the last laugh!!!

Since then, i am an advisor on several new companies, now have shares in several business’ i came on to advise and just landed a huge contract.

oh and when we were laid off and being maligned by the “others”, there had been an offer in december 2007 to buy our company, created by us the stupid founders, for over 60 million dollars. When advisors to the buyers met with the “others” who left us out because they did not want us to know about it, those advisors went to their funder and said, those people are idiots-dont give them money. their greed and need to cover up their many faults meant that no one won.

and know those advisors have formed a second company with my partner and myself, after figuring out the problem and miscommunication. we have a JV and just signed a million dollar revenue deal!!

success is the best revenge, never give up and be careful about linked n. you may just end up with a loser.

5. By Steven Burda on Jan 4, 2009 | Reply

I plan on helping people who needs professional mentorship… be it with networking or personal finances… and at the same time, learn more and more about life and the world of “business” — each new day/week!

- Steven Burda

6. By Randi Bussin on Jan 4, 2009 | Reply

I am going to ensure that everyone one of my clients buys Jason’s book and makes LinkedIn their number 2 tool in the marketing/branding campaign. It is crucial for career reinvention and job search and my clients are not taking it seriously enough.

Sorry Jason, but I still think they need a resume too.

7. By Jason Alba on Jan 5, 2009 | Reply

Awesome comments, thanks for sharing your LinkedIn strategies…

@Randi, I don’t think a resume is going to die, and I’m an advocate of people getting a good, solid resume. I don’t have enough foresight to think that a LinkedIn Profile will replace the resume… I can’t see that happening.

8. By Claire Ratushny on Jan 7, 2009 | Reply

Happy New Year, Jason. Good, thoughtful post. I concur with many of the sentiments stated here. It’s important to better utilize Linked In and to stay in touch with our network contacts more. In tough economic times like these, we can be a real support system, offering advice and real help to each other. We can also help by more actively referring each other to prospective clients. That, after all, is the power of joining a network. We’re all in this together and we can choose to be gloomy about the economy or we can do something about it. As marketers, our role is to help our clients prove their value. Let’s dig in.

My best to you and your business in 2009, Jason. Keep on doing what you’re doing.

9. By Sahar Hodaky-Andrade on Jan 9, 2009 | Reply

Happy New Year to all

I have to admit I am still very new at Linkedin and I am not even sure if what I am doing is right or not. I am sure that Linked in has a lot more to offer than what I think it can.

But I pledge to answer more questions, enter into more discussions, share experience or give advice whenever needed.

I tried to reach out for a couple of network for reference but never got a reply so I am still wondering if I am doing it the right way.

I am here for any help/ advice I can help with

Best of luck for all in 2009

Sahar

10. By Chuck Hutsell on Jun 22, 2009 | Reply

Like most, I am using LinkedIn to grow my own professional/personal network. To be totally transparent – of course I want to do this in the hopes that it helps me introduce the company I represent and the service we offer. But in the spirit and belief that all of us are wired with a desire to give – I hope that a more developed network will put me in a position to share what I have learned along the way with others and to most definitely learn from them.

As for LinkedIn replacing the resume – my own professional opinion (I am a professional recruiter) is that I don’t see that happening. What I do see occurring is social networks and social media being used to further qualify a candidate. This can occur either before or after the resume has been presented, but it is happening more and more before the individual is hired.