Brilliant Use Of Applications On Your LinkedIn Profile

November 12th, 2008 | by Jason Alba |

I’m writing an article for Job-Hunt.org right now, as I’m their “social media expert.” I decided to write about Applications on LinkedIn, and I’ve had an idea brewing around for a while that I just need to share with you.  I meant to do this and show you “here’s what I did,” but I’m too swamped and not getting around to it.

One hangup I have with Applications is that I think it will clutter your Profile. If people are spending only so much time on your Profile, do you want to distract them with neat shiny things that are off-brand??  I hope not.

As I mentioned earlier, I added my blog posts (with the typepad app – ah, irony of ironies :p) and I added my slideshare presentations.  I love the slideshare presentations I did, and I’m proud they’ve been viewed thousands of times… and they are on-brand with my overall messaging.

But I’m probably a little different than YOU.  I have a website (JibberJobber), I have books, etc. etc.  What if you are simply hoping to communicate your personal brand, not a corporate brand?

Let me share my brilliant idea with you – I wish I had an example to share (hurry, do this and leave a comment with the link to your Profile!):

Create a powerpoint presentation that is focused JUST on YOU.  Load that into Slideshare.net (I would create a new, different account, so that when I add it to LnkedIn, it doesn’t pull in all of my presentations, just the ONE that I want to put on my Profile), and then add the slideshare app to my Profile with that new username.

Now, you get ONE slideshow that is completely onbrand and complementary to your Profile!

So, if you have a slideshare account with stuff that is offbrand, this works perfectly for you (the advice is, set up a new account).

If you don’t have a slideshare account, get one and do this and make your LinkedIn Profile richer with some visuals.

I think it’s brilliant… now, if I only had the time to do it!  Back to my job-hunt article :)

1. 16 Responses to “Brilliant Use Of Applications On Your LinkedIn Profile”

2. By Ed Callahan on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

Jason:

I’ll have to noodle on this for awhile. I always counsel people against more than one account as it dilutes the leverage of your network in LinkedIn.

So, you are suggesting a single “advertising” account with no connections in LinkedIn for purposes of displaying a “special slideshare resume”.

Hmmm . . . I don’t know, maybe. But then there are new sites popping up offering video resumes which maybe are even better – globalpitch.com, career builder offers it now, etc.

But I am all about creative ways to use your LinkedIn profile. I think people like us who are solopreneurs with websites it makes sense, but maybe not for others.

My $.02,

Ed

3. By Jason Alba on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

Ed, I’m definitely not advocating creating a second LinkedIn account, only a second Slideshare account (and only if you have one with presentations that aren’t on-brand for your LinkedIn Profile).

4. By Ed Callahan on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

Ah – I understand now and agree. Ed

5. By Kathy @ Virtual Impax on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

Outstanding idea!!! Talk about thinking outside the box when it comes to personal branding!

6. By Katie Konrath on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

That is a really good idea! I’ll have to add that to my ever-expanding to-do list.

7. By Melissa on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

I LOVE it! I had actually been thinking about doing something like that but I don’t have a lot of pictures of me so mine would be solely words on a page if I did one today.
    I think it would really make someone stand out if they focused on marketing themselves in that way. You could also use that slideshow in other ways too.
    Great idea Jason! As someone currently looking, I’m going to work on this!

8. By Jason Alba on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

@Katie – too many ideas to implement, I know :p

@Melissa – instead of pictures about you, think about pictures to drive your strengths home. Like what I do on my JibberJobber blog… I put pictures to complement the post. If you drive sales, can you find an image about increasing, growing, sales, money, etc. The entire thing could be done without any images of you.

Also, check out my I Just Got Fired slideshow, which as NO images. But it’s still pretty cool (if I don’t say so myself :p)

9. By Ashwan on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

Hey Jason, I’m from SlideShare and one of the guys that worked on the LinkedIn app.

One of the things about the LinkedIn app on SlideShare is that you don’t need to have a SlideShare.net account to use it. Just add the app to your profile and upload your slideshow.

This way you don’t need to create a second account on SlideShare.net. If you later do want to sync them both into one account, you can link the app to your Slideshare.net account and both will be kept in sync until you choose to “delink.”

10. By Ashwan on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

“One of the things about the LinkedIn app on SlideShare”

Errr, make that the SlideShare app on LinkedIn. :D doh!

11. By Jason Alba on Nov 12, 2008 | Reply

Ashwan – excellent – thanks for the suggestion (you can tell I am not one to poke around technologies :p).

BTW, I LOVE slideshare :)

12. By Yosef Sukenik on Nov 13, 2008 | Reply

I afraid I don’t quite understand what you mean by “focused JUST on YOU”. I’ve seen (and suffered through) so many bad presentations. Bad in my mind is defined as “The speaker must not be redundant re the slides and vice versa.”.
    I’m not sure how to get around this.
    On the other hand your presentation is very well done.
    An example would be helpful to clarify your idea. Feel free to use my profile (http://www.linkedin.com/in/sukenik) as an example.

Thank you for your ideas.
    /Yosef

13. By Jason Alba on Nov 13, 2008 | Reply

@Yosef – when I say focused on you, I’m referring to not putting slideshare presentations of your most recent vacation, or something personal like that. Do something onbrand for YOU… something that will complement the LI profile… It let’s say you are a hardware engineer… have it be a “visual resume” of sorts (although I’m not a fan of visual resumes in a powerpoint)… something visual that people might be intrigued by.

14. By Yosef Sukenik on Nov 14, 2008 | Reply

Thanks for the note. I’ll give it more thought.

15. By Allison Farber Cheston on Dec 2, 2008 | Reply

Jason, regardless of the technology used, this is a great marketing idea that is perfect in a job search context.

When I was looking for a new job in branding (this is in the late ’80s, by the way), I always carried a slide tray in my bag and would take it out at the right moment and present projects I had developed and managed.

It was a great way to showcase my credentials and presentation skills simultaneously, and I should say that I received a very large number of job offers with that technique.

As a career advisor I always counsel people to show as much of themselves doing the job as possible, and this was about the closest thing to it in my case.

2. Mar 16, 2009: LinkedIn Applications - Are they worth it? - Internet Entrepreneurship
  3. Apr 2, 2009: Using LinkedIn applications to build your personal brand