What To Do With A Maiden Name On Your LinkedIn Profile

March 24th, 2008 | by Jason Alba |

what to do with your maiden name on LinkedIn profilesIn my LinkedIn presentations that I give I’m frequently asked what to do about maiden names on a LinkedIn profile. My East Coast buddy Thomas E. Kenny forwarded me a response he got from one of his contacts, which she got from LinkedIn customer support, regarding the very question. Here’s what they recommend:

Please select the Account & Settings link in the upper right hand corner of the homepage. Go to the Settings section and select Name Edit. The first name field should include your maiden name in parentheses. Example: Firstname (Maiden) Lastname.

It makes sense as an easy workaround for now. My only concern has to do with LinkedIn allegedly changing people’s profile information without consent or notice. If indeed they do that, I’m guessing they do it based on various search criteria, and perhaps having a parenthesis in your name field would trigger that.

So, I’d recommend you do it, but keep an eye on it to see if it somehow disappears :)

1. 6 Responses to “What To Do With A Maiden Name On Your LinkedIn Profile”

2. By Maria Elena Duron on Mar 24, 2008 | Reply

Wow, Jason! You never cease to amaze me with your tips and resources. This is a GREAT one and I’m often asked about this. Thanks for the help-filled advice. This is great advice for those with maiden names working within any social network or even bios and profiles on-line!

Thanks!
    Maria Elena Duron

3. By Jason Alba on Mar 24, 2008 | Reply

THanks Maria Elena, but I’ll admit I never would have thought about this on my own :p It’s just a question I continue to hear again and again, and Thomas sent me the information at the right time :)

4. By Thomas E. Kenny on Mar 24, 2008 | Reply

In the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I never thought of this issue as well!

However, I have developed a LinkedIn FAQ (available at http://www.thomasekenny.com/LinkedIn-FAQ.html) for use by my network friends that are new to LinkedIn. As a result one of my female network friends suggested that I add this info to my FAQ and I thought it was of value so I passed it on.

The power of network giving is great!!! Pass it on!

5. By LA Blogger Gal on Apr 1, 2008 | Reply

I’ve wondered about this as well. Heck, I’ve also wondered what do do with my first name since I go by a nickname, not the formal name. But, I also want to be found if someone is looking for me.

6. By Mary W on Apr 2, 2008 | Reply

The Firstname (Maiden) Lastname does not help on a Name Search on maiden name. Firstname Lastname (Maiden), with the Maiden Name in parens as part of the Lastname field, does allow for a search on both lastname AND maiden name, although it does not look as professional. Linked in should allow for a search on Maiden name.

7. By LA Blogger Gal on Apr 2, 2008 | Reply

Mary, what about Firstname Maiden Lastname (no parenthesis)? That’s how I have my facebook.

Funny, I’m with the Ladies Who Launch community and well, being by women, for women, they actually have a box for both your maiden name and your nick name. Pretty smart if you ask me.