Customize your Invitations!

November 19th, 2007 | by Jason Alba |

I used to not care about getting invitations from people who didn’t take the extra 30 seconds to customize an invitation.

I still don’t care if I know you well and you invite me to connect with the default, generic invitation message.

And my customization, especially if you know it’s coming, is “Yo!”

But I’m changing my tune on this (and I think I know where Scott Allen is coming from). Because of my involvement in various places, especially with other LinkedIn users, I find it funny (actually annoying) that people send me the default invitation.

Because I really don’t now who they are.

They got my e-mail from an e-mail forum, most likely.

And guess what my e-mail signature looks like? Like this:

Jason Alba
:: Owner – http://www.JibberJobber.com
:: Blogger – http://www.JibberJobber.com/blog
:: Author – I’m on LinkedIn – Now What???
:: http://LinkedInHelp.com
:: Career Management || Personal Relationship Management
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Did you catch the part about my book? Isn’t it ironic that I wrote a book on LinkedIn, and then you send me either the default invitation, or worse, an invitation selling me on the benefits of LinkedIn?

Please customize your invitations :)

1. 9 Responses to “Customize your Invitations!”

2. By Mike on Nov 23, 2007 | Reply

well quite a valid point you have here. anyone can create an a/c on Linkedin & send an invite to increase their no.of contact. I’ve been using Linkedin for quite sometime now, and its been a wonderful experience till now. Linkedin can be access on phone via sms without internet, GPRS or EDGE. here’s the URL – modazzle.com?channel=linkedin6

3. By jennifer jones on Dec 2, 2007 | Reply

Great suggestions about what to do next when on linked in. Thanks! I have not done the email signature as you suggest and now i will start.

4. By piarasmacdonnell on Dec 13, 2007 | Reply

It actually makes a great filter especially if you are unfamiliar with the people or haven’t been in contact for a while. An excuse to Decline

If you add a note in the Contact Settings, warning them not to use the default note it also helps.

Most power users take the time to read that note to see what enquiries you are interested in.

5. By Patricia on Jan 15, 2008 | Reply

Yes, personalizing an invitation is important. I received one yesterday with the standard note, and I almost hit the “I don’t know this person”, but I looked carefully at their profile. On the second look through I saw the sport club listed (way at the bottom I might add) that we both belonged to and then I was able to place him. :-)

6. By Havi Brooks on Jan 28, 2008 | Reply

Yes! The generic invite is so depressing — it’s like getting a card with computer-generated handwriting. Thank you.

When I connect with someone I know, I tweak it depending on how well we know each other: I’d like to ‘add you to my professional network on LinkedIn’. And give you a hug.

Or: I’d like to ‘add you to my professional network on LinkedIn’ and maybe this will help us be in touch some more. Looking forward to helping you connect with interesting people.

The point is, not sounding like a robot is an underrated skill.

7. By Nathon on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

Awesome idea. Here is my customized note from my Contact Settings:
    ———————————————-
    Please do not use the default invitation note. Include how you know me and why you want to link up with me.

I am a professional bookkeeper helping individuals and families manage their personal finances and helping online retailers manage their business finances. If you know anyone who could use my help, please share my profile address with them.

Nathon

8. By Nathon on Sep 13, 2008 | Reply

BTW,

To find this Contact Settings to create your own:

Account & Settings > Email Notifications > Contact Settings > “What advice would you give to users considering contacting you?”

Please connect with me on LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/ebundance

9. By jitendra vyas on Nov 7, 2010 | Reply

Is there a way to add my custom signature in Linkedin Invitation permanently like gmail?

Everytime i need to add manually.

10. By Jason Alba on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

@Jitendra, I wish there was but this is a feature LinkedIn hasn’t given us (yet).